Get the latest information on any bill, committee or legislator in the US Congress.
Aquatic Policy Updates from American Society of Limnology & Oceanography (ASLO)
State Environmental Resource Center (SERC)
Contact your Member of Congress
The US Congress' web site, Thomas, contains a wealth of information including Congressional contacts, who's on what committee, track bills, and go to your state government home page to get the same kind of information at the state level.
The U.S. Government Web site at (http://www.whitehouse.gov/government/) provides current news, access to federal agencies, information on federal commissions, councils and advisory groups, links to Congress, and links to the Judicial Branch, which includes the Supreme Court and its searchable databases of federal court decisions.
Another Web site (http://www.loc.gov/law/guide/usexec.html), provides access to a searchable database for federal rules (Code of Federal Regulations).
Tips on writing your Congressman/woman:
A good letter has three components:
- Identify the issue in the first paragraph - use bill number if you know it.
- Tell why it is important - use local examples they can relate to.
- Say what action you would like them to take.
Be courteous, be to the point, and include key information, using examples to support your position. Address only one issue per letter, and try to keep it to one or two pages.
EPA Program Links
- EPA Office of Water
- Clean Water Action Plan
- Clean Lakes Program
- Water Quality Monitoring
- TMDL Program
Other Federal Agency Links
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- U.S. Forest Service
- U.S. Geological Survey
- Natural Resources Conservation Service
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Other Organizations with Legislative Background & Updates
- American Sport fishing Association
- Clean Water Network - Coalition of environmental groups focusing on water issues
- Environmental Defense - Conservation bill updates
- Izaak Walton League
- League of Conservation Voters - Congressional environmental vote scorecards
- Natural Resources Defense Council - Conservation bill updates
- Northeast Midwest Institute - Policy recommendations to congress
- Water Environment Federation
- The Wildlife Society
- World Watch Institute - Freshwater environmental trends
- Sierra Club
Lake News OCT 17th
DEC Issues 2017 Finger Lakes Water Quality Report
The NYS Department of Environmental Conservation Finger Lakes Watershed Hub has released its 2017 Finger Lakes Water Quality Report: Summary of Historic Finger Lakes Data and the 2017 Citizens Statewide Lake Assessment ProgramRead More Read ALL