Get the latest information on any bill, committee or legislator in the US Congress.
Aquatic Policy Updates from American Society of Limnology & Oceanography (ASLO)
State Environmental Resource Center (SERC)
Contact your Member of Congress
The US Congress' web site, Thomas, contains a wealth of information including Congressional contacts, who's on what committee, track bills, and go to your state government home page to get the same kind of information at the state level.
The U.S. Government Web site at (http://www.whitehouse.gov/government/) provides current news, access to federal agencies, information on federal commissions, councils and advisory groups, links to Congress, and links to the Judicial Branch, which includes the Supreme Court and its searchable databases of federal court decisions.
Another Web site (http://www.loc.gov/law/guide/usexec.html), provides access to a searchable database for federal rules (Code of Federal Regulations).
Tips on writing your Congressman/woman:
A good letter has three components:
- Identify the issue in the first paragraph - use bill number if you know it.
- Tell why it is important - use local examples they can relate to.
- Say what action you would like them to take.
Be courteous, be to the point, and include key information, using examples to support your position. Address only one issue per letter, and try to keep it to one or two pages.
EPA Program Links
- EPA Office of Water
- Clean Water Action Plan
- Clean Lakes Program
- Water Quality Monitoring
- TMDL Program
Other Federal Agency Links
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- U.S. Forest Service
- U.S. Geological Survey
- Natural Resources Conservation Service
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Other Organizations with Legislative Background & Updates
- American Sport fishing Association
- Clean Water Network - Coalition of environmental groups focusing on water issues
- Environmental Defense - Conservation bill updates
- Izaak Walton League
- League of Conservation Voters - Congressional environmental vote scorecards
- Natural Resources Defense Council - Conservation bill updates
- Northeast Midwest Institute - Policy recommendations to congress
- Water Environment Federation
- The Wildlife Society
- World Watch Institute - Freshwater environmental trends
- Sierra Club
Lake News JUL 26th
Columbia-Greene Lakes Coalition Meeting
Hudson Valley area lake associations don't miss the annual Columbia-Greene Lakes Association Meeting. Special thanks to NYSFOLA Board member Terri Mayhew, Cornell Cooperative Extension in Columbia & Greene Counties, for organizing this once again.
"Surveys, Drones, and Action Thresholds" - Brad Bowers, SOLitude Lake Management
"Moving Beyond Invasive Species Week" - Kristopher Williams, CAP-MO PRISM
Lake Roundtable updates
Light breakfast fare and lunch will be provided
Where: Sleepy Hollow Lake Lodge 102 Lisa Lane, Athens, NY
When: Friday August 24th
Time: 9:30AM to 2:00PM
RSVP: Theresa Mayhew firstname.lastname@example.org by August 21Read More Read ALL