Selected Presentations from Past Conferences
2018 Conference - Protecting Lakes for 35 Years
Water Quality Monitoring
- Sorting through the QAPP - Scott Kishbaugh
- Creating a watershed plan - Chris Mikolajczyk
- Citizen Science Assessment and Beyond - Anthony Prestigiacomo
- Monitoring for Chlorides - Daniel Kelting
- Using CSLAP data to guide lake management - Samantha Carey
- Microbial Source Tracking - David Andrews
Aquatic Invaisve Species Management
- Update on Boat Steward Programs - Catherine McGlynn
- ProcellaCOR - Jon Gosselin
- Hand Harvesting Eurasian Watermilfoil - Guy Middleton
- Managing Water Chestnut - Kathryn Des Jardin
- Use of Grass Carp in Aquatic Plant Management - Stradder Caves
- Management of Water Soldier - Glenn Sullivan
- Status of an Adirondack cold-water fishery - Ben Casscles
- Getting to know your fish - Ryan Elliott
- Water quality and fisheries in Hunntington Wildlife Forest - Margaret Murphy
- Scouts as Biologists - David Pfuhler
- Queechy Lake Solar Boat Project - Charles Long
- An introduction to Harmful Algal Blooms - Greg Boyer
- HABs summit outcomes - Rebecca Gorney
- Proactive Management of Harmful Algal Blooms - Stephan Souza
- Nutrient Inactivation - Fred Lubnow
- Beaver Pond Management to control Algal Blooms - Pat Rose
- NY iMap invasives - Meg Wilkinson
- Promoting Stewardship - lessons from Great Lakes - Emily Sheridan
- Emerging Contaminents - MaryGail Perkins
- CSLAP in the Finger Lakes - Aimee Clinkhammer
- Underwater Video Surveys - Lewis McCaffrey
- Doing well while doing good (non-profit management) - Jim Sheehan
- Funding a strategic plan - Tarki Heath
2017 Conference - Lake Ecology and Human Impacts
Developing and Implementing a Septic Inspection Program - Eric Murdock
NY Not-for-Profits - What are the Rules?
- Board Basics - Carrie Pollak
- SEQRA - Wendy Marsh
- Fish Population Responses in Oneida Lake - Randy Jackson
- Fisheries and Food web at Sleepy Hollow Lake - Michael Martin
- Grass Carp for Aquatic Invasive Plants - Bill Harman
- Enhancing your fishing experience - Lance Dellavechia
Dam Safety in NY
- Lake George Data Atlas - Kristin Wilde
- Restoration Plan for Lake Hoptacong - Fred Lubnow
- Good Lakes with bad HABits - David Matthews
- Updates on the DEC HABs Program - Rebecca Gorney
Diet for a small lake
Nuisance & Invasive Species
- Role of EPA - Anahita Williamson
- AIS searches: shoreline search & blocking zebra mussels - Janet Andersen
- Finding the bad stuff - challenges - Scott Kishbaugh
- Sampling Streams and Rivers - Alene Onion
Project, Permits, and Problems
- Dilution & Sediment Monitoring Requirements - Glenn Sullivan
- Management of lakes with cyanotoxins - Fred Lubnow
- When Lakes and Lakeshores are Wetlands - Dean Long
Lake Management Strategies
Lower Hudson Lakes Conference 2016
Thank you to all of the attendees at the Lower Hudson Regional Conference on July 22, 2016 at the Sedgewood Club on the shore of China Pond in Kent, NY. We had a record turnout of 110 attendees who braved the heat, humidity, and lack of air conditioning to learn about their lakes and to network with other lake users.
The agenda and links to the presentations are below.
- Welcome & Introduction - Janet Andersen, NYSFOLA Board of Directors
- Reslilient shorelines: adapting to climate change- Lisa Borre, Cary Institute
- Introduction to HABs - Greg Boyer, SUNY ESF
- Hydrilla Hunt - Cathy McGlynn
- Hydrilla Search in the Croton and Hudson - Chris Doyle, CLM
- Shoreline Search for AIS - Janet Andersen
- Aquatic Plant ID Workship - Chris Doyle, CLM - Chris displayed a selection of native and invasive plants, and identified some plant brought by attendees.
2015 Conference - "Celebrating Citizen Science"
- CSLAP - not just an acronym - Scott Kishbaugh, NYSDEC
- Making Sense of CSLAP reports - Scott Kishbaugh, NYSDEC
- What did we learn in 2014? - Scott Kishbaugh, NYSDEC
- Harmful algal Blooms: Blue Green Stuff - Dr. Gregory Boyer, SUNY ESF
- What's new in the 2014 CSLAP Reports - Janet Andersen
- Biomonitoring and CSLAP - AJ Smith
- Priority Waterbody List and CSLAP - Jeff Morris & Sarah Rickard
- Online Data Entry - Lou Feeney
- CSLAP Wrap Up and Thanks - Scott Kishbaugh
Watercraft Inspection Steward Program Workshop
- Legislation and Regulations
- AIS: Indetification, Impact, Prevention, and Control
- How to start a Watercraft INspection Program
- Current Program Models
- What Anglers and Boaters Know and Still Need to Hear
- Standardized Watercraft Inspection Data Collection
- Open Datakit as an Online Database Storage Option
Diet for a Small Lake
New 2015 Lake Law for Lake Associations
Invasive Plants - Monitoring and Management
Harmful Algal Bloom Monitoring in NY
- An introduction to harmful algal blooms - Dr. Gregory Boyer
- What we've learned about HABS in NYS - Scott Kishbaugh
- HABS Surveillance Monitoring - The Honeoye Example - Scott Kishbauh & Teryl Gronwall
- HABS Monitoring - Test Kits or Lab Data - Dr. Gregory Boyer
Lake Management Plans for NYSFOLA Lakes
A Potpourri of Lake Related Issues
Sustainability and Your Lake Association
- Sustainable Management to Buffer Impacts of Climate Change - Rebecca Schneider
- Protecting Drinking Water via pesticide regulation - Steve Pacenka
- Saving our lakes one home at a time - Nicole Cadwell
2014 Conference - "Celebrating Lake Stewardship"
- Invasive Species in NYS - Moving the Transport Law Forward and New Regulatory Incentives - Leslie Supenant
- Political Action for an Invasive Species Transport Bill - Peter Bauer
- Why we Need This - The Finger Lakes Boat Steward Program - Dr. Lisa Cleckner
- A Researcher's Perspective - The Challenge of Controlling Zebra Mussels - Dan Molloy
- Fragment Viability and Rootlet Formation In Eurasian Watermilfoil after Desiccation - Dr. Celia Evans
- The Black List: Where the bad plants are found: Scott Kishbaugh
- Lake Owner Rights and Floating Objects - Richard Stafanski
Dam Safety in NYS - How are we doing?
- Complying wtih Dam Safety Regulations: The Sleepy Hollow Lake Story - Laurel Mann
- Case Studies in Hazard Class Reductions - Gregory Daviero
- Small is Beautiful? State of Dams and Management Implications for the Future - Sri Vedachalam, Cornell University Water Resources Institute
Diet for a Small Lake: An Introduction to Lake Ecology and Lake Management
- Diet for a Small Lake: An Introduction to Lake Ecology and Lake Management - Dr. Willard Harman and the SUNY Oneonta Biological Field Station staff.
Lake and Watershed Management Toolbox
- The Role of Wetlands in Reducing Pollutant Loading to Lakes: Dr. Fred Lubnow, Princeton Hydro, LLC
- Aeration: A Key Tool in Aquatic System Restoration and Management, Patric Goodwin, Aquatic Systems, Inc.
- Utilizing GIS for Watershed Protection and Management, Robert Brower, CEO, Institute for the Application of Geospatial Technology
iMap Invasives Workshop/Training
- We refer you to: http://www.nyimapinvasives.org/
- New York's 100,000 gpd Water Withdrawal Regulations: Just Red Tape? Or a Real Safeguard to NY Lakes? Dr. Rebecca Schneider, NYSFOLA BOD, Cornell University Dept. of Natural Resources
- Lake George Shoreland Protection Program: Protective Water Quality at the Edge - Kristen Rohne, Lake George Association
2013 Conference - "Managing Lakes in a Changing World"
- Homeowner Education Workshops on Wastewater Management in Two Lakeshore Communities -by Amy Galford, Extension Associate-Water Quality, Cornell University.
- Managing Eurasian Watermilfoil at Tuxedo Lake, NY - by Chris Doyle, Allied Biological Inc.
- Melody Lake Dan Repairs - by Bob Rosati, Melody Lake and FOLA director
2012 Conference - "After the Storm"
- Hydrology of Tropical Storms Irene & Lee - by Britt E. Westergard, National Weather Service, Albany, NY.
- Dealing with Climate Change: a Recipe for Lemonade - by Rebecca Schneider, NYSFOLA Board of Directors, Cornell University Department of Natural Resources
- Emergency Preparedness at Your Lake- by Theresa Mayhew, NYSFOLA Board of Directors, Cornell Cooperative Extension in Columbia County
Topics in Lake Management
- Using Mapping Techniques to Support Lake Management Activities - by Chris Doyle, Allied Biological, Inc.
- Looking at Watershed Planning from Both Sides of the Table - by Don Kretchmer, AECOM, Wentworth Lake Association, NH
Combatting Aquatic Invasive Species in NYS
- Brazilian Elodea Eradication Program on Lake Waccabuc - Janet Andersen, NYSFOLA Board of Directors, Three Lakes Council
- Combatting Hydrilla in Cayuga Inlet - Angel Dybas, Tompkins County Soil & Water Conservation District
CSLAP - Whats New for 2012?
- What We've Learned from CSLAP Through 2011 - Scott Kishbaugh, NYS DEC
- Protocol Update: Keeping Nancy, Scott, and the Folks at UFI Happy!
- CSLAP ( and Other Great Stuff) Now on the DEC Web Site - This is a link directly to the CSLAP page on DEC's website rather than to the references Scott made to it in his talk.
Lake News OCT 17th
DEC Issues 2017 Finger Lakes Water Quality Report
The NYS Department of Environmental Conservation Finger Lakes Watershed Hub has released its 2017 Finger Lakes Water Quality Report: Summary of Historic Finger Lakes Data and the 2017 Citizens Statewide Lake Assessment ProgramRead More Read ALL