http://nyis.info/ NYISRI serves the scientific research community, natural resource and land managers, and state offices and sponsored organizations by promoting information-sharing and developing recommendations and implementation protocols for research, funding, and management, all in an effort to improve the scientific basis of invasive species management.
Find Your Congress Person
Find Your US Senator
Get the latest information on any bill, committee or legislator in the US Congress.
Aquatic Policy Updates from American Society of Limnology & Oceanography (ASLO)
State Environmental Resource Center (SERC)
Contact your Member of Congress
The US Congress' web site, Thomas, contains a wealth of information including Congressional contacts, who's on what committee, track bills, and go to your state government home page to get the same kind of information at the state level.
The U.S. Government Web site at (http://www.whitehouse.gov/government/) provides current news, access to federal agencies, information on federal commissions, councils and advisory groups, links to Congress, and links to the Judicial Branch, which includes the Supreme Court and its searchable databases of federal court decisions.
Another Web site (http://www.loc.gov/law/guide/usexec.html), provides access to a searchable database for federal rules (Code of Federal Regulations).
Tips on writing your Congressman/woman:
A good letter has three components:
- Identify the issue in the first paragraph - use bill number if you know it.
- Tell why it is important - use local examples they can relate to.
- Say what action you would like them to take.
Be courteous, be to the point, and include key information, using examples to support your position. Address only one issue per letter, and try to keep it to one or two pages.
EPA Program Links
- EPA Office of Water
- Clean Water Action Plan
- Clean Lakes Program
- Water Quality Monitoring
- TMDL Program
Other Federal Agency Links
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- U.S. Forest Service
- U.S. Geological Survey
- Natural Resources Conservation Service
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Other Organizations with Legislative Background & Updates
- American Sport fishing Association
- Clean Water Network - Coalition of environmental groups focusing on water issues
- Environmental Defense - Conservation bill updates
- Izaak Walton League
- League of Conservation Voters - Congressional environmental vote scorecards
- Natural Resources Defense Council - Conservation bill updates
- Northeast Midwest Institute - Policy recommendations to congress
- Water Environment Federation
- The Wildlife Society
- World Watch Institute - Freshwater environmental trends
- Sierra Club
Lake News SEP 5th
23rd Western Regional Conference October 21, 2917
Join us on Silver Lake in Wyoming County. The gathering includes a buffet style lunch and great talks. We will have online registration starting in early September so stay tuned to our website and facebook page. For more information, please contact Donald Cook - email@example.com. The deadline for registration will be Oct 12th, 2017.
1. Panel Discussion - Faculty and staff from SUNY Geneseo, SUNY Brockport, the University of Buffalo, and Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) will discuss ways that lake associations can use college programs and expertise more effectively.
2. Dr. Joseph Atkinson, Chair , Department of Environmental Engineering, University of Buffalo will talk about ongoing research on harmful algal blooms in Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario.
3. Doug Conroe, Chautauqua Lake Association, talks about collaborative efforts with academic institutions..
4. Meg Wilkinson, Invasive Species Database Program Coordinator, NY Natural Heritage Program, shows how to use the IMAP Invasive System smartphone app. Assisting her in the “show and tell “ program will be students from the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) and the RIT.
Read More Read ALL